BritainUSA Homepage Artist David Mach created this public sculpture in Kingston upon Thames from old telephone boxes. The Senedd, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff Bay Scottish wind farm. Liam Neeson, actor from Northern Ireland.
 Britain's official website for the USA
  Click here for a print-friendly version of this page. Print Version | Ambassador's Greeting | Contact Us | Site Map | Job Postings | Email Alerts
Visas and Visiting the UK
Passport and Consular Services
Britain in the US
Visiting and Residing in the UK
UK Government and Countries
Culture and Heritage
UK/US Relations
UK Science and Innovation
Study in the UK
British Foreign Policy
UK Devolved Administrations
All about Britain
Britain for Kids
BritainUSA Home > FAQs

Is my US drivers licence valid in the UK?
Frequently Asked Questions

As a Visitor

You may drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and with up to 16 passenger seats, provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of entering Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales).

As a Resident

Provided your full licence, issued by one of the 50 United States or its territories, remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional GB licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12 month period elapses. If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you are not subject to provisional licence conditions e.g. displaying `L' plates or being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways.

However, if you do not pass a test within the 12 month concessionary period you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and provisional licence conditions will apply.

If you do not apply for a provisional licence within the first 12 months you must stop driving and obtain a British provisional licence with a view to passing a driving test. Provisional licence conditions will then apply.

Further information on driving licenses can be received by contacting the following organisation:

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Customer Enquiries (Drivers) Unit
Swansea SA6 7JL
Tel: 0870 240 0009
Fax: 1792 783071

We hope this answered your inquiry. If not, please contact us using the email form and we will reply to you within twenty days.

Kids Section
Great new Kids Section
About Us | Accessibility | Feedback | User Information | Email this page | pdf Reader
The Royal Coat of Arms
This site is produced and maintained by the British Embassy in Washington DC. We assume no legal liability for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information disclosed in the site. Links to other Internet sites from this site should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.