BritainUSA Homepage Artist David Mach created this public sculpture in Kingston upon Thames from old telephone boxes. The Senedd, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff Bay Scottish wind farm. Liam Neeson, actor from Northern Ireland.
 Britain's official website for the USA
  Click here for a print-friendly version of this page. Print Version | Ambassador's Greeting | Contact Us | Site Map | Job Postings | Email Alerts
Visas and Visiting the UK
Passport and Consular Services
Britain in the US
Visiting and Residing in the UK
UK Government and Countries
Culture and Heritage
UK/US Relations
UK Science and Innovation
Study in the UK
British Foreign Policy
UK Devolved Administrations
All about Britain
Britain for Kids
BritainUSA Home > FAQs

How can I buy or rent real estate in Britain?
Frequently Asked Questions

Americans are permitted to purchase and/or rent property in the United Kingdom.

Buying property

Information about houses and apartments for sale in Britain may be obtained from estate agents (or from solicitors in Scotland) and from classified advertisements, particularly in local newspapers. A list of estate agents in the area of a prospective buyer's interest may be obtained from:

National Association of Estate Agents
21 Jury Street
Warwick CV34 4EH
Tel: (1926) 496 800

Additional information on properties can also be found on the following Internet sites:

  • Yahoo Property UK
  • Internet Property Finder

Information on the purchase of houses through building societies may be obtained, free of charge, from:

Building Societies Association
3 Saville Row
London W1X 1AF
Tel: (20) 7437 0655

Information on mortgages, mortgage brokers and building societies is available on the Financial Information Net Directory internet site.

US-based agencies may also able to arrange for the purchase of property in Britain. Some of these agencies are:

    Century 21
    World Headquarters
    6 Sylvan Way
    Parsippany, NJ 07054
    Tel: (877) 221-2765

    660 Madison Avenue
    New York, NY 10021
    Tel: (800) 249-7339

    Sotheby's International Realty
    980 Madison Avenue
    New York, NY 10021
    Tel: (212) 606-4160
    Fax: (212) 606-4199

Up to date information on property prices is available from HM Land Registry

Public Sector Housing

Accommodation owned by local government authorities in Britain is most commonly rented to qualified people living or working in the area who have registered on the authority's waiting list. Many councils require that applicants for council housing should have lived in the area concerned for a certain number of years before becoming eligible.

Information on council housing is available from:

Provides a listing of community councils in the United Kingdom, who have information on council housing in each area.

Renting Property

Listings of rental housing and apartments, both furnished and unfurnished, may be found in the classified sections of local British newspapers.

In addition, many estate agents also handle rented accomodation (see information above).

Rents vary considerably, not only by the standard and locality of the property, but also by region. Prices are generally higher in London and the southern regions, and lower in the north of England and Scotland. Rents also tend to be lower in the more rural areas of the country.

Details of apartments available in London and other British cities for rent to tourists and a list of rental agencies in the United States and Britain is available from VisitBritain.

We hope this answered your inquiry. If not, contact us using the email form and we will reply to you within 20 days.

Kids Section
Great new Kids Section
About Us | Accessibility | Feedback | User Information | Email this page | pdf Reader
The Royal Coat of Arms
This site is produced and maintained by the British Embassy in Washington DC. We assume no legal liability for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information disclosed in the site. Links to other Internet sites from this site should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.